Agents and Brokers (non-manufacturing traders) who buy, sell or facilitate the trade of products, provide a critical link in the movement and trade of products, and influence supplier product safety and quality standards, as well as being responsible for maintaining an effective chain of traceability.
The BRC Global Standard for Agents and Brokers provides a framework to manage product safety, quality and legality for businesses in the food, packaging and consumer products industries which buy, sell or facilitate the trade of products, but who do not manufacture, process or store products in their own facilities or on their own site. These companies play an essential role in the movement and trade of products, providing a critical link in their chain of custody.
THE SCOPE OF COMPANIES THAT MAY BE CERTIFICATED TO THE STANDARD
The Standard may be used by companies operating the following services:
- Brokers – companies that purchase or ‘take title to’ products for resale to manufacturers, other brokers, retailers or food service companies but do not directly sell to the consumer.
- Agents or non-manufacturing service providers – companies that trade between a manufacturer or broker and their customer but do not at any point own or take title to the goods. Such companies provide a range of services to facilitate the safe and legal trade of products.
THE SCOPE OF PRODUCTS APPLICABLE FOR CERTIFICATION
The Standard has a scope which covers certification for the following categories of products:
- Food products, including raw materials, processed foods, and fruit and vegetables.
- Packaging materials – primary, secondary and tertiary materials, and raw materials for the manufacture of packaging materials.
- Pet foods for domestic animals.
- Consumer products.
The Standard shall not apply to:
- animal feed for livestock
- bulk fuels
Certification against the BRC Global Standards is recognised by many retailers, food service companies and manufacturers around the world when assessing the capabilities of their suppliers.
This Global Standard has been developed to specify the safety, quality and operational criteria required to fulfil obligations with regard to legal compliance and protection of the consumer or end user of the product.
The format and content of the Standard is designed to allow an assessment of a company’s product safety management systems and procedures by a competent third party – the certification body – against the requirements of the Standard.
THE BRC GLOBAL STANDARD FOR AGENTS AND BROKERS IS AIMED AT:
- Brokers: Companies that purchase or ‘take title to’ products for resale to manufacturers, other brokers, retailers or food service companies, but not directly to the consumer.
- Agents or non-manufacturing service providers: Companies that trade between a manufacturer or broker and their customers, but do not own or take title to the goods.
- Importers/Exporters: Companies that facilitate the movement of products across national boundaries, satisfying legal and customs requirements. Importers and exporters may also be agents and/or brokers.